Tuesday 10 January 2012

First Week!

Well, I've survived! haha, it's been really good. Lots of "ups and downs" as expected, but overall, a great first week.

I was told that this experience would make me more independent and would help me grow as a person even more than academically in French. I actually understand that now. It's been the seemingly "little" accomplishments that have made me feel proud. I'll explain as I go.















Firstly though, the city is beautiful.

The mountains surround the entire city. They’re especially beautiful at sunrise and sunset.  (p.s., you can click on the pictures to make them bigger..)


This was taken from my res this morning.
















Secondly, the campus is beautiful! The architecture is cool.



When I study in the library, here's my view:



And thirdly, the people are great! I’ve been more outgoing here, meeting more people. I haven’t been given much literature on where to find things, or how things work, so I know now that the only way to find out is to ask people. I’ve met most of the students on my floor. Almost all of them are French. I hung out with some of them last weekend at the "soirée" at our res, and played "little football" (which is what they call foosball). A girl arrived last week from Montréal named Chloe, so we've hung out a bit too. 


The people in my French class have been great too. There are only 7 of us, so we’ve got to know each other pretty well. Each day, I eat lunch with Tien from China and Verena from Germany.

I was even able to meet up with Katia from McMaster, who I met at my exchange program’s orientation. It was my first time in a little French café! She’s been here for a few months, so she was also able to show me some stores, so I could buy cooking utensils and a pillow and blanket. SUCH a nice sleep that night.

Class has been pretty good. I'm in my second week of that 2 week "prep for France university" course with exchange students. Most of them have been here for months, so they've got quite a head start. I've had years of grammar drilled into my brain, so if I'm asked to conjugate something, Im usually good. But as for the oral part, that's been my greatest challenge. Even in a week though, I think I've become more comfortable with it. 

I got my first assignment back. My prof's comment's were: "c'est un passage confu et je ne le comprends pas" or English translation: It was confusing and I didn't understand it.

:S

But, I still got an okay mark on it. It was just the first thing, so hopefully the comments improve from now on. 

On the plus side: I've ridden the tram to school with a couple nuns this week! They're taking a class around the corner from my classroom. Kinda neat!

Speaking of which, I've been able to make it down to a church almost every day and pray for a while, definitely awesome. There are at least 4 in the down town area alone, and they're all open during the day. There's almost always someone there too, young and old, and there's usually a line for Reconciliation. This was a neat surprise.



During my first weekend, it was weird having nothing to do. I’m used to visiting Frank or going home or seeing friends, but I had 2 days of free time to myself. Friday night, like I said, I hung out with some students from my res for a soirée, which I guess is like a party. Sat, I walked down the mountain to the bakery and market (the bus doesn't run on weekends). 


The path on the way down the mountain...
My first baguette!

 Le marché
Sunday, I ran up the mountain to the fort. I don't have a great picture because it was foggy, but it was one of those little "accomplishments". As was cooking chicken that night that hadn't been prepared...skin, bone and all...ick. But I did it! 

Mon and Tues, I've had my French class and attempted to sign up for my math classes that start on the 23rd. This is way different than Canada. I'd almost prefer MUGSI...I know, that says a lot. It's all by hand, and you do it a week or sometimes days before the course starts. I had been told that admin would be a "complete joke" here, so I came prepared, but again, it was the helpful people that have made it do-able. During my meeting with my academic advisor here, Yves, he introduced me to the secretaries and everyone I'll need to figure out the academic admin things. To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone knows what's going on, or what I'm supposed to do, but most of them were very nice and did their best to help. Hopefully I get some more figured out tomorrow.

I have next week off (I know, holidays after I just got here?), so I'm hoping to tour some of Europe with Laura, a friend I met at Université Sainte-Anne in Nova Scotia, who goes to Mac and is currently studying in Lyon (an hour from Grenoble). On the weekend, Im planning on meeting up in PARIS with one of my best friends, Breanne, whose studying in Amsterdam. That seems crazy to me! So excited :)

So I guess I should head to bed now, but I'll leave you with a picture of a some friends who came to greet me at my res window a few times this week:


haha, I guess Im not too far from home.

Bonsoir! 


1 comment:

  1. Keep writing! This these things you share are so beautiful! I'm glad you are having this experience!

    ReplyDelete